We’re always quick to blame the flame for the heat, rather than our hand for finding the fire.


Oh hai!

Posted on

I have this problem. It’s called “Sometimes I check out for no reason.” Yeah, I’m not good with names. But seriously, sometimes I just get caught up in one thing or another and I completely forget about things that were so important I was staying up late and squeezing them in just to be able to do them…and then I always get a little withdrawn around my birthday as well.

Hence why I haven’t posted regularly in months! HOLY SHIT. So, there’s something going on that I can’t talk about yet, but it’s a good thing and should help my family make extra money. Let’s just say I might have found a job. 😉

Anyways, other stuff has obviously been going on, but I’m going to make “content” out of it, at least some of it. Also going to post some of my homework stuff, so that people can see how school’s been going.

Let’s see, stuff coming up…oh! One of my good friends is moving to Texas for work, which is good for him yet also leaves us a little shorthanded at the Ozarks Celebration Fest this fall, of which I am always a part. We’re going to have some goodbyes in a month or so that will be unemotional and mature, no doubt.

I started watching Turn: George Washington’s Spies recently and wow…pretty good. I love the Civil War and frontier period in American History and I love historical dramas so this is a good fit. Also great music, so go check it out already jeez.

Since I’ve been busy with my bigger project, I haven’t been doing as much CodePen stuff (only so many hours in a day you know) but I have been participating in the CodePen Creative Challenge and have joined the CCC team on CodePen. (Just to be clear, that is just a community group on CodePen, not an actual job at CodePen, although I would greatly love a job at CodePen.)

Other things going on, let’s see, uh…well lots of boring shit of course but nothing super exciting. I’m 8-ish months away from my Master’s degree, at which time I plan on writing a very lengthy review on my current school and degree program.

We’re getting ready to start planting things for the summer, kind of excited about that. It’s a little weird trying to grow things for a change, but the monsterface is enjoying herself so I am as well.

Speaking of Monsterface she had a month-long string of not acting up in school, which was really exceptional for her. She also was taking books to school the entire time, and I’d like to believe there is a correlation.

My supposed allergies have been acting up since February; I should probably go to the doctor to figure out what exactly I’m allergic to, but hell, I hate going to the doctor. More than most people.

Lots of other shit happened, but right now I think this is quite enough. Next time!

Overwatch: McCree

Posted on

So I participated in the stress test and the open beta for Overwatch. I might be addicted. I spent way too many late nights and hours blowing shit up with Junkrat, flying around like a lunatic with Pharah, and zooming through enemy fire with Mercy. HOLY SHIT THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER.

Ahem. Anyway, my friends and I are all jonesing super bad since it doesn’t release until May 24, so I drew McCree, one of the heroes, for my husband. He wanted a graphite drawing, and I chose the cover of McCree’s comic as I thought it was a great image. Turns out that doing graphite shading when the original is shaded with watercolor-esque is fucking hard.

This is one of the only drawings I’ve ever done that I like; that just doesn’t fucking happen. Next up: Junkrat!

Tools used: Bristol paper, graphite pencils

Text Effects Sass functions & mixins

Posted on

CSS has come a long damned way from the days of having to use tables because positioning wasn’t available. (Sure, dating myself a bit, but as they say: you’re only young once but you can be immature forever.) Time was that if one wanted any sort of effect on text – and we’re talking system installed fonts here, nothing fancy – you had to create an image. Once the semantic web was encouraged, you then had to replace a heading tag with said image to get the best SEO as well as have the creative look. Of course, every browser had different support for the technique so there were dozens of image replacement hacks. (If you’re interested in a history lesson, CSS-Tricks has an entire page dedicated to the different techniques.) Nowadays CSS can do a helluva lot of basic text effects directly in the browser, with fantastic cross-browser support.